Mim's Life

Friday, October 21, 2005

Search for 'perfection'

Gill and I went to our boxing class last night at the gym. The room was incredably hot and smelt of sweat from the last class and I don't think I've ever sweated that much before in my life- but I was also feeling really fit and doing really well, not to mention getting so much better at some of those bags that drive me nuts- there's one that you've just got to hit so fast that it doesn't have a chance to move at stupid angles! But after about 40 mins I started feeling sick but apart from a few quick breaks and drinks I pushed on. When we were done I asked Gill to get my stuff and I had to go outside- and ended up vomiting in the garden- as much as I'd like to pretend it was because I worked out so hard- think it was more the fact that I'd just eated dinner 30min before boxing, so I really don't reconmend it to anyone. at the risk of being skinny from working out and vomiting I came home and made up for it by eating a bowl of ice-cream in front of the TV.

On camp I ended up having to think about why I go to the gym. One of our studies was on 'the search for perfection' and had all these pics of skinny models in mags etc. As much as girls are pushed towards physical perfection and thats become such a big issue in the media etc. I also think guys feel the pressure too but it's more covered up. So many times at the gym you see these guys in their tank tops spending hours at the weights area- it's such an obsession, (also think there are non-physical measure of 'perfection' that society pressures to the point of obsession but thats another 10 posts).
So why do I go to the gym? initally it was the social aspect of going to the gym with Mich who after spending almost everyday of our lives together through school and church stuff at the end of school we hardly ever got to spend time together except if we went to the gym. Find it a really bonding time :) I now also go with Gill for the same reason. Then dad got us a family membership, so I also go because of a feeling that I should because dads paid for it (by the way- if you want to come with I can get you in cheaper b/c I'm a member- and we can bond at the gym!!). And there's always the fitness element- don't think much of the gym untill Mich got me into it prefering group sports etc. but it's just as good a way to keep fit and I don't mind going by myself so much.
As for aiming for physical perfection- i don't even know what that means or if there is such a thing and I doubt that being obessed at the gym or where ever would ever help me reach it so I don't much care. I just don't want to die prematurely of a hart attack while I continue to eat like a man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home