Mim's Life

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Globalisation

Had a dream, a while ago now, and I was in my sociology lecture and they were talking about the whole globalisation issue and how the Western world are imposing their culture on the 3rd world etc. And then they used operation christmas child (sending gifts to children of 3rd world countries for christmas) and the toys and other stuff people pack in these shoe boxes as an example.
Not etirely sure were I sit with the whole globalisation issue- think I can see pros and cons both ways- although mostly cons really- but this dream has made my think about what gets sent over with every good intension but could well be corupting their culture. Who says we have to give gifts for chrissy anyway and what about the products that we're sending. Saw a TV show once about how an Island nation (I think) whose cultural idea of beauty was big women but how Barbie dolls in this generation has totally changed that and now all the girls over there take on a more western ideal of beauty.
Not entirely sure what this means practically and globalisation is not an issue I've looking into much but Think I'll still send my box but might think more about what I'm sending over. Do missionaries, with every good intension, unknowingly impose our christian culture onto other cultures and is this a problem? something to think about!

4 Comments:

  • At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mim,
    Is it about imposing our christian culture or the western packaging we inclose it within. I myself believe that Christianity can come in many forms and assimilated into many cultures as long as the beliefs aren't effected. I'm reading a book at the about Sadhu Sundar Singh who beleived Indian Christianity shouldn't just be a rehash of of Western Christendom but one which expresses the unique identity of the people. My favourite qoute is:
    '(background) On another occasion he saw a Bramin (hindu elite)who had been taken seriously ill and needed water. However, when the station master brought him some in a cup he refused to drink it. He rejected the foreign vessel in which it came. Not until water was poured into his own brass bowl would he receive it.
    "(actual qoute) So the Hindu is more prepared to receive the Water of Life when it is offered to him in a vessel he can accept. So the Sadhu is a familiar figure and gains a readier hearing than the foreigner, or even the Indian who adopts the Western manner of life and general approach. The Water is the same, but the vessel in which it is offered is different. If the vessel is acceptable it is more likely that the Water will be received."
    This is very much what is dominating my thinking at the moment . Does the world reject the Water in time of dire thirst or does it simply reject the packaging it is imposed in. Can God work in societies which are rejecting of Him, in order to have a great harvest later in history through the existing culture being united with Christianity.
    Oh, and I personally believe that we should personally make our own gifts for the shoeboxes. For what right do we have to enslave a third world parent in order to give a third world child a gift.
    That's some of my thoughts anyway.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Mim said…

    Hi Wayne,
    yeah, sorry that was what I was meaning by 'christian culture'- bad termonoligy on my part! Our christian culture as opposed to their christian culture.
    Good quote- sounds very incarnational- 'Does the world reject the Water in time of dire thirst or does it simply reject the packaging it is imposed in.' is a really good point.
    AS much as I'd like the idea of making my own gifts- they'd proably fall apart in a couple of days! (though I'd be happy to hear any practical solutions you have).
    Now this is me totally showing my ignorance, but are third world parents working against their will or do they recieve something for their labour? Not at all saying I agree with the system- but if they're working for something to sustain their live isn't that better that not having any kind of job? If my refusing to buy what they produce ends in their work closing won't they be worse off?
    Having said that, I think there needs to be much greater awareness of the origins of whats in our shops and to make a difference a majority of people would have to stand against it and let them know why.
    But your welcome to point out everywhere I'm wrong!

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Digger said…

    Hmm, interesting thoughts here Mim and Wayne.

    I saw that TV show too Mim-that kinda stuff pisses me off too hey.

    There's some great stuff in Shaping ottc about the Western culture within which we can package the Gospel. Great quotes too Wayne-I enjoyed discussing that stuff with ya the other day.

    Have you read of many examples of people doing that contextualisation stuff well in overseas cultures vastly different from our own.

    Also, have either of you seen the C1-C6 scale, very helpful in thinking through some of this stuff.

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger Mim said…

    I've no idea what the C1-C6 scale is. would you find it in a google search or other resourses?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home