Mim's Life

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

'Terrorism'

Was reading an article from mondays age on the issues of how schools should deal with tradegies such as terrorist attacks. With so much media attention given and the high level of media exposure we all have, it's not an issue that can or should be ignored. I guess as youth leaders it's an issue we should be aware of as well. The article also provided some good links fro teaching materials which could be interesting, at- racismnoway.com.au/classroom/lesson_ideas/20041109_75.html and peace-ed.org .
The article also stated that "there are between 40 and 50 recognised terrorist groups around the world that cover every religion, ethnicity and continent". This is very true and proves that there is never any excuse for racism. I remember when I was in London in 1997, not being allowed on the subway because of a bomb threat. In '97 the threats were from the IRA (Irish republican party). This stems from a long 'battle' between the catholic church and the church of england, although these days I do think it's much more politically motivated than anything to do with religion. Even so my uncle, who is northern Irish, refused to speak to and attend the wedding of his own daughter because she decided to marry a southern Irish Catholic! Recently someone told me that the reason we don't use incense in church 'is because that's what the Catholics do'- that is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard! Nor suggesting we need to copy and believe everything Catholics or any other religion/ group etc. do but I don't think we should define what we can and should do by what everyone round us does. I've really got to go now but I'm quite fired up bout this topic so don't be surprised if I add more another day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home