Mim's Life

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Hillsong through my parents eyes

I'm quite amused by all this excitment over the Australian story on the Hillsong pastors- I was at a camp leaders meeting so I missed it and can't really comment. But my parents (who are totally non-religious) watched and discussed for a moment tonight and what interested them was that so many people turned up to these churches- and how many there were around the world. They didn't mention anything whatsoever about the finacial stuff and all that contriversy (that may be due to how the program was positioned). Instead they related hillsong to Billy Graham and the numbers he attracted. Then good old dad went on about how religion is a human weakness and that it seems, from his interpretation of the show, that there are a lot of dumb people out there who seem to need a religion- so there's a non-christian view of the story (and that was a very us vs. them comment!!:)).
Thats got me thinking 1. you kinda hear that stuff at church but with a positive spin on rather than dad 'religion is for the weak' 2. do we need a religion?- do we need God? or do we need both? can we 'have' God without a religion? is religion without God benifical?
Also makes me question how dad see's me. he's always very accepting and this is deffinately not me having a wynge, but I'm definately not the scientific/ engineering stuff that he admires! really the totally opposite and really the only thing we've ever had in common is we would, and often still do, sit up late watching the cricket, tennis, olympics etc. when Mum and Gillian would go to bed. Guess thats what being a parent is all about- accepting your kid no matter what- talking to a friend Em about stuff like this and she told me how her brother is the black sheep of the family because he's not a christian- well I'm the black sheep of the family because I am christian- that and I lock keys in the car and require mum or dad to drive an hour to come and save me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home