Mim's Life

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Acceptance

Back at the end of first term, for the discipleship program I'm doing, one of our tasks was to talk to a non/ not yet christian about spiritual stuff. The idea was to get them to talk with us asking questions and to just listen to where their at.
So I decided to visit one of my oldest friends and went to hers for dinner and it was just really great to catch up cos, for a number of reasons, we don't get to see each other that often anymore. I also really enjoyed just listening to what she had to say about were she sat on spiritual issues- some of which were totally spaced out (liturally- cos she rekons she's been abducted by aliens) but I much prefer to listen to people and help them to find were their at rather than preach a sermon (mainly cos I really suck at getting up a just talking- need others to talk or a least ask me questions). So we sat outside and talked for hours about stuff, often being interupred by Trav and her other flat mates while commented on what they thought about spiritual stuff.
I loved talking to my friend because you can tell she's always so honest and would tell you about anything thats going on openly. However, she's a chronic dope smoker and had also consumed at least 2 cans of jim bean and I honestly don't know how much that would affect the way she thinks about stuff. I's also had a can, which I neglected to report back to the group, but I'm not too worried about 1 can- although there was an incident after 2 glasses of wine once but that was a once off!(I don't think me and wine mix very well- that or mich was spiling the drinks!!).
Reporting back to the group I was asked if I'd told my friend every time she was wrong- maybe this makes me a really bad christian and is something I need to work on but I couldn't sit there in her house and just tell her I thought she was wrong- I asked her questions to get her thinking more about what she was saying but that was it. I was totally accepted into their house and they didn't feel the need to tell me they thought I was wrong- why as christians do we always feel we have to correct people all the time just cos their ideas don't fit into our christian boxes? How is it that I am more accepted into non christians how than she would be into a church?
Also I felt I shouldn't mention that I'd had a drink while doing a church task- this girl is the most open and honest person I know, I rekon that if I'd gone and done this task with a christian person they'd be so worried about being correct or thinking about What would Jesus say, that they wouldn't openly state where their at (i know I'm generalising here).

6 Comments:

  • At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey mim. what's the discipleship prograM/who's it run by etc?

    (more comments from me later!)

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Mim said…

    it's run by our minister and he's discipling a group of us in stuff like ministry stuff (and that was a top uni sentence right there!!! 3rd year and thats what I can come up with).
    At the moment we're going through the spritual disciplins book by Foster which is going well- it's good just to have a group of people (all older/wiser?? than me) to discuss issues with and the accountablity- which I haven't really experienced before.

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    having a drink while doing a church task? Don't get me wrong, i don't drink, but jesus was making wine when he performed his first miracle.
    what a waste of space this reply has been!

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger Mim said…

    AB!!!!
    Not sure that you should be comparing me to Jesus!!

    True, but even so, not sure the minister would be too impressed!! Then again, he'd probally expect it from me (he's very accepting of my, what oler/mature people call, cheek!)- and as if I was going to refuse her hospitality- and a free drink.

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger Digger said…

    Yeah I'm with ya there on the not telling people they're wrong part Mim-Christians have been doing that for way too long-no wonder free-thinking people think they can't come to church!

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    'ain't that the truth!'

     

Post a Comment

<< Home