Mim's Life

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Suicide

Some stats- 6 people die each day in Australia from suicide, 80% are male, more females attempt than males more males are sucessful, suicide is the highest reason for death for males between the ages of 25-40.

Some points
-people are much less likely to commit suicide if they have another person with them.
-people who commit suicide often believe others around them will be better off if they do.
- depression/ suicidal thoughts come in waves- if you can get through the tough patch then you'll be glad you made it.
- depression can happen to anyone.

Some of my comments/ thoughts
This really is an issue we can't ignore, so many people a day in Aust alone. I remember in yr 8 I had a couple of friends who attempted so as youth leaders it's definately something to be aware of.
plus it really can happen to anyone (personally although I've been pritty upset sometimes I never really thought of 'ending it') so it's good to know that if you can find someone to hang out with your likely to get through it ok.
I also had a friend in high school who'd constantly tell me about how she'd tryed to commit suicide with a butter knife and then show me all the marks on her arms- I sure this was more attention seeking and still I'm never quite sure how your meant to deal with this- but there must always be a deeper issue leading to this behaviour so again just hanging out with these people couldn't hurt (let me know if you have any wisdom/ thoughts in this).
As for the they'd be better off if I was dead thought- as real as these thoughts are for people I can tell you that there is definately survivor guilt- no matter what the circumstances of death- it will never make those left feel any better and guilt- even if completely illogical is a very real posibility.
I always wonder if people from 3rd world countries or who live in slums commit suicide and thier stats- but really that doesn't matter because it is an issue and we need to be aware and not make any kind of judgement.

How does God fit into all this- I not an expert on this issue at all- my sister called me up chrissy eve this year balling her eyes out saying her friend had threatened to end his life, being literally stuck in the city but also not really knowing how to help I refered her to a friend who works in schools and stuff- the story has ended up ok but I really did feel kind of helpless to help out that night.
And back to God (cos' I totally got sidetracked there!) maybe this is a battle between 'good and evil' - we all feel distanced from God at times-even though we never really are. really not sure how it all fits or even my own opinion on it but it's here in the world.

Sorry about a depressing topic- promise my next post will be sickoningly happy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home