Mim's Life

Monday, August 29, 2005

Memories

All these memories of living in Ireland have reminded me of a funny event while over there (funny for me anyway).
Staying with one of one uncles and his wife and living on a farm had a pet dog which was really old (can't remember the dogs name or how old he was but I guess that's really useless, filler info to the story anyway). Thats why they bought the puppy I named Benny while I was over there (again that is really useless filler info- but I do remember it so it's been added).

Anyway the old dog started to leave the farm on it's own for a while and then return. But one day the dog didn't return for a few days so we all assumed it and died.
So I decided that a dead dog needed a funeral body or not. Spent the day making a wooden cross and picking flowers and cleared a spot in the old orchid to make the bodyless grave. Then when all was prepared- I rang the funeral bell- aka hit the metal gate to the orchid with a big stick, and got everyone one to gather round the grave while I conducted the funeral service in my only attempt at being a minister. However, towards the end of the service the 'dead dog' decided to walk slowly past the gate and into his old bed. As an 8 year old that was quite a spooky experience- I had spent the entire day laying this dog to rest and then it walks past us during it's own funeral. The dog did die soon after I'd returned to Australia and they berried it in the orchid under the cross I'd assemble before.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahahaha ahhh, mim that made me laugh so hard! i never knew you lived in ireland for a while! how utterly awesome!!
    keep bloggin!!!!

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Mim said…

    yeah, for a few months- stayed with aunts and uncles and cousins.
    Dad's Irish so my whole family is over there (other than immediate family).
    Great experience to live in another culture though- went to school there and everything.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home