Mim's Life

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Uni update.

Thought I'd write a bit about my placement at the moment in the childrens ward of a hospital. Haven't written anything much about my placements before because of all the issues around confidentiality, and so I won't go into heaps of detail here either.

In the mornings I usually run a group in the playroom of the ward for the younger children and thats always a lot of fun- although challenging as well trying to create a group and balencing diff ages and sick kids and bad moods and drips going off.... etc.

In the afternoons I have individual sessions with kids in their rooms and I've worked with kids from an developmental stimulation with an infant with a developmental delay to working with the physio and 'hanging out' with adolescents.

Yesturday was a good example of hanging out with adoles- spent time with a ward full of teenage boys. 2 played guitar so were just jaming of the guitars I brought in while I just watched and we chatted about music and why they were in hospital and life...etc.

Another wanted to learn guitar, so I showed him how to play some tab of his fav band. This one had some phych issues going on so it was great to see how much he opened up and got into the guitar stuff.

So thats a very small look at some of the stuff I do. I enjoy it, but like all jobs it has it's moments and deff not for everyone- need to be able to get on with kids, and some very unhappy kids at times and have to be able to sing Banana's in Pyjama's and 'Tot tot chugga chugga big red car' beyond the point of being completely sick of hearing them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home