Mim's Life

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Reflection

Few people have been asking me what I've learnt about Buddhism through my experience of living in a temple and the answer is not heaps! And there's a couple of reasons for this.

1. Trying to talk with the nun/ Buddhists even through a translator (Buddhist translator) was really hard. Think it is quite difficult to explain a lot of religious concepts in a different language and culture which may not have any words or concepts to properly explain the idea. The temple we were staying was apparently a slightly different 'variety' of Buddhism than the more main stream type, so some of their ideas or 'Gods' prob don't have names in our language or in my understandings.
Look at the issues and debates we have with the bible and the translations used and looking at the original Hebrew language and often finding that there is no English equivalent or concept to properly explain a lot of the ideas.
Maybe thats one of the reasons that Jesus talked a lot in parables- most cultures would have words and concepts about farming or actual physical things more than say more abstract ideas and even today we understand and have language for seeds etc- prob less likely to get lost in translation- just look at the idea of 'love' in the last post!

2. While working on the building site some of the group were asking questions and the idea that the nun, like her catholic equivalents, was 'married to Buddha'. People got offended and the whole group later got a lecture about being careful talking about -the war, -religion and other sensitive topics.
So from then on it was a bit of an off limits topic.
Honestly I struggle to really understand why thats offensive- if you consider the true and best basis for marriage then I think its a nice way of looking at it- open for debate on that one though.
That whole idea of not talking about something just in case you might offend someone just annoys me- stupid way of doing things- tell us your offended and why but don't not talk about it!!!

Did see and experience a lot and I'm sure the nuns would have been happy to share if there wasn't such a language barrier. And I have a lot of respect for them as people and how they live their lives- just no understanding of their beliefs.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger waynemus said…

    Interesting points you raised Mim. Just goes to show how fragmented we can become all because of language. But could to here you tried all the same.

    What do you mean by the nuns being married to Buddha? As in they are dedicating themselves to Buddha as to that of an earthly husband? Can't say I've heard of that of desciption for a Catholic nun. (But I don't know much about Catholicism as what I would like to.)

    From my understanding some of the Pali scriptures speak about Buddha not wanting his disciples to worship him, but rather to follow his method. A bit odd seems they make idols of him, but then the scripture only comes from one tradition, and the true purpose of the idols I do not know, so I better not impose my thoughts on it.

    The idea of conversational taboo is one of my pet hates too. All should be up for discussion in proper context. Discussion allows the passing of knowledge from one person to another. It also enables everyone to grow closer in understanding one another.

    Religion is one of the most interesting subjects. Same too for politics. Whoever said that "religion and politics are two subjects not to be discussed." was obviously ignorant of both fields importance. Either that or they couldn't articulate their thoughts, and hid away instead.

    Experience is one of the best teachers, but only truly achieves full understanding with knowledge. I'm still undecided as to whether to travel before study (bringing experience to my study) or travel after study (bringing knowledge to my experience). If you have any thoughts they are most welcome.

    Fortunately I have been invited to travel with a friend from the culture I want to immerse myself into. Will help me transcend a bit more. Hopefully will journal as much as possible, not sure how much that will be though.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Mim said…

    'Nuns being married to Buddha' is not something I would have said, but neither is it something I'd get upset over either.

    Yeah, don't know heaps about Catholic stuff but have hear that 'marriage' idea before- guess it's to do with their vow not to marry etc...?

    This temple had more Gods than what looked like your trad Buddha statues- but don't really know.

    Hmmm I don't know, guess I've done both- eveyones different and I'm not sure it matters heaps..?

    So there you have a lot of unaswered questions! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home