Mim's Life

Sunday, November 27, 2005

What do you do

What do you do when........
- a dirty old man comes up to you asking for money but the world insists your a poor traveling student with no money to spare.

- you see guys sleeping on the street but the world tells you, you don't have the time or money to help all of them.

- you have a young soldier looking for female company and affection but all you want is to listen to the band (btw totally fell in love with the lead singers voice- seriously the best cover band singer I've listened to- which is quite a few- also talked to him after and he gave me a free CD- go the honest flattery!!)

- on an hour train trip you have lonely person after person get on and want to tell you their life story but all you wanted to do is have a much needed nap.

These are just some of my experiences from a week in Sydney and I reckon Gill thinks I'm a total suck- whenever we get asked for something she butts in and takes over telling them we don't have anything and just walks off pulling me along- she rekons I've turned in Ned Flanders (which is prob true!). But as followers of Jesus isn't that what were suppose to do- I would have at least talked to them more and tryed to find out why they felt they needed the money or heard their side of the story, instead of just assuming they were in that situation because they're lazy or stupid.
Prob first need to learn how to stand up to little sis and mum. I'm supposed to be the older bosy one but thats the opposite in my family. And mum hates that I sponser a child saying it's the parents fault that they can't pay to feed their children. (even if it is the parents own fault why should their child suffer?).
When ever I get asked for something these are the thoughts which go through my head- which provides enough hesitation for whoever I'm with to take over, but is there ever a point (and when) where you have to think of your own needs first? My family have my best interests at heart but I wish they weren't always on at me- I know there will aways be poor and I can't help all of them but I can't do nothing either.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    absolutely love those thoughts mim, keep 'em coming. such important qns to ask as followers of Jesus-and after being in a country like india, where poverty is everywhere, it makes it look as though in Australia, we actually Can do something about it. Because in india, it's outta control!
    yes i'm home :) sorry the email from india didnt work; such a bummer, but hopefully can fill ya in soon. will prob talk bout it at church one nite, wil let ya no when :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home