Mim's Life

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

"holidays"!!!

Well I've offically finished uni- but it really doesn't feel like holidays yet, because of all the interviews and auditions and tapes and application forms and reference forms and practice and related readings i'm having to do for the course I want to get into for next year. If anything it's worse- I'm getting so confused over all the diff courses and each want me to be able to demonstrate slightly different things in slightly different ways- that and Gill and I are organising a weeks trip to Syndey for me to do two auditions/ interviews up there. So that will be a mildly stressful holiday.
But had a phone interview this arvo with the lady from Brisband which I think went well. To one of my responses she said 'I gave a refreshingly good answer'- so even if she says that to everyone, it gave me a confidence boost!

Anyway, I've included my 'reasons for wanting to do music therapy' statement that I've had to send to some of the uni's if your interested. There's also some 'God' reasons which I didn't include in what I sent. Maybe I should have- but having been educated in secular schools all my life 'it's never been appropriate' to include 'religious ideals' so I tend to write my reasons and Gods imput without crediting him :(
Doing a subject at CCTC (church of chirst theological college) I had to learn how to reference the bible and talk about God stuff in an essay. Actually, I did one essay 1st year where I talked a bit about 'God's unconditional love- but that was a case study I did on a christian so it easier to include and related.
Anyway, here's what I sent-

Reasons for wanting to study Music Therapy:

For me, Music Therapy has been of great interest since I became aware of the profession about five years ago. Since then I have read and many books and articles on different techniques and possibilities of music as a therapeutic technique. Having also taken part in volunteer work during music therapy sessions at SCOPE (formally the Spastics society of Australia) and observed music therapy at Wantirna Hights School for autistic children, has only strengthened my ambition to establish a career in this area.

I have a great passion and desire to see and help people to develop and learn to express themselves to their full potential. I believe that music is an excellent tool in allowing all people, no matter what their background or abilities, to express themselves both to others and themselves things which they may not even have been aware of and thereby leading to growth in a safe environment. I have truly enjoyed and am excited by the progress the people participating in Music Therapy at SCOPE have achieved over the year I have attended. These sessions have provided them a new median with which to communicate with others and it is also very encouraging to witness how much they openly enjoy participating in the therapy sessions.

My reasons for studying Music Therapy are to learn how to properly and successfully provide people with a safe environment and the proper musical tools to facilitate people’s development. But also, I can see huge potential for further research in the area of Music Therapy which I would be excited to be apart of.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey mim,
    loved hearing this stuff!!! so awesome!!!
    am off to india on wednesday! :) thanks for ur support, and check your emails while i'm away cos if i can, i'll email everyone!!!! :)
    lotsa love, sarah.

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Mim said…

    wow- thats great!!!
    have a fantastic time- how long you gone for?
    Deffinately check my e-mails!
    Promise that when all these audition stuff is done I'll be down your way asap!
    so see ya soon!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home