Mim's Life

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Show me the way to go home

Talking to one of the kids on camp and how her mum didn't allow her to go to her pa's funeral and how thats effected her- has reminded me of how we need to deal with death.

So having lost my first client as a music therapy student, and not having the opportunity to attend a funeral- I'm going to debrief on here. Working in aged care, its still unexpected, but I guess always in the back of your mind that their time is coming.
She was a funny lady that would sit up the back and continually request her favorite old drinking song wearing a flannel shirt. And she'd sing along with me every single word in such a comic way then chuckle to herself.
Last time I saw her she was quite aggressive saying- 'what do I have to do to be left alone round here' and asking for 'daddy' and how she'd have to go find him (due to having dementia, people lose memory often leading to anxiety etc....). So I left her, respecting her wishes and allowing her to have control of at least something in life. I think she was ready to go and had had enough, but I'm going to write out the words of the song she loved and the only time I was a smile and laugh from her-

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
and it's gone straight to my head
no matter where I roam
on land or sea or foam
you will always hear me singing this song
show me the way to go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home