Mim's Life

Monday, January 08, 2007

I'm offically stupid! :) Like most humans

Remember this story from the many articles on men/women/rels stuff I had to read in a behavioral studies subject back at Monash- (also a perfect example of Freud's super ego idea).....

"When I was in college, I drove one of the school transit buses part-time to earn money. Sometimes, when I had no one on board, I drove -um- rather quickly. One day I came hurtling around a corner, and there was an elderly man standing at the bus stop, shaking his head no at me. It irritated me that he was disapproving of my driving! Years later I lived in New York City, and one day I shook my head no to tell an approaching bus driver not to stop because I didn't need his particular route. Suddenly, it hit me: All those years ago that elderly man had just been saying no, he didn't need my route. Instead, I built up this whole assumption that he had examined my performance and found me wanting."


Apparently females are meant to be smarter than that!! But I missed out on that particular female trait, as the following story proves!! (Although if going to uni and doing a major in behavioral studies taught me anything- its that 'experts' do not know everything about the human mind).

Borrowing a pair of hard core walking boots for the upcoming Vietnam trip, and on Christmas eve went to the 'thousand steps' in Ferntree Gully to wear them in and get my feet used to them. Climbing at a fair pace but about half way up I was getting pretty hot and breathing heavily. Everyone else who was passing me going the opposite direction was breathing easy- I was completely embarrassed and worrying about how unfit I obviously was!

When I got to the top of the steps I actually went on a bit further on a more even track. When I decided to come back down the steps my breathing was fine and I was passing people who were heaps worse off than I had been- one guy was hanging off the railing and moaning with every step. Woohoo- I'm not the most incredibly unfit person ever! -totally convinced myself I was though and that everyone who heard my heavier than normal breathing knew it!-

Funny how we often judge ourselves by the way we think others see us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home